Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Progress Report...

The wedding is over and now the fun begins! So on working on this month's goal to combine our finances, we have decided to put all of our income into a joint checking account and then transfer a percentage out into our own personal checking accounts. Mainly, the reason we decided on a percentage is because our incomes vary each month.
We have our joint checking account set up and debit cards for each of us. We went through the last two months of statements to track where our money goes and total costs for fixed bills. I did notice we go out a lot(!) but since I am not focusing on cutting our budget, I am going to ignore it for now.
Next step, get all the paperwork for automatic withdrawals. I have the paperwork for my paycheck and car payments but there is a lot more we need. I am thinking we should probably send it in all at the same time to prevent some coming from here and some there. Our goal is to get all the paperwork sent and have the mortgage moved over after the honeymoon, May 2nd.
I have been pretty impressed with my husband’s (ekk..still so new) cooperation in this process. I thought he would be a little territorial over his money or dragging his feet to get the process started, but he has been a prince through it so far. Side note: the other day he called our hotel in Hawaii to make a golf tee time and I heard him say. “I will have my wife with me and I would like her to be able to join me for the day” I almost started crying, I am someone’s wife.

3 comments:

  1. a huge congrats and best wishes to you both cassie, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!

    If you haven't already, try Mint.com. It's a personal finance tracking website and it's EXCELLENT. You can add all of your accounts and it will help you see what you're spending on various categories of expenses (like dining out, for instance) which can be really useful in budgeting. I've been using it for about a year now and it's made a huge difference in seeing the bigger picture. Very easy and user-friendly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, congratulation on your nuptuals, Mrs!! So exciting! And, you're starting out doing a great thing by baby stepping into a joint account. I did exactly the same thing with the percentage and it works fabulously!

    ReplyDelete