Monday, April 26, 2010

I bought a house!

I have successfully committed myself to my challenge of buying nothing on sale this month. I honestly haven't bought anything other than groceries, some clothes for my son and well, a house! We close this Friday and move over the weekend. My husband and I saved for almost 6 years for our down payment and now we feel more grown up than ever since we're putting 20% down on our new home.
The real challenge has been wanting to buy all new furnishing and things to fill said house because all that we have had are hand-me-downs that I'm getting rid of and starting over. I had a huge yard sale last weekend and made $1200! If you're needing extra cash, a yard sale is an excellent way to make some change. I sold some furniture on Craigslist the previous week for things I didn't feel like haggling over. We have a small budget for furniture that we need right away and I've made a (big) list and highlighted what is urgent. And the rest will just have to wait. Fortunately, I have a trip to Ikea in Atlanta planned for mid may, and I enjoy going to flea markets too. I love mixing rustic with modern, and I have a newer found interest in scouring design mags and hacking what I can. I'm really happy and fortunate that my husband and I have been financially thrifty and on the same page over the last few years and saved like crazy. Our American Dream is coming to fruition!


3 comments:

  1. Shelly, congratulations! Where is your new house? I have some good friends in E. Nash. She is a major bargain hunter/decorator and goes to flea markets all the time. She's good at finding things too if you are looking for something specific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We're moving to Franklin, which is just south of Nashville. My husband works there. East Nashville is a fun and funky place to live. Lots of craftsman style bungalows and victorian homes. Great food and bars too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete