Monday, May 10, 2010

The Prophet


So I noticed things have gotten a little quiet around here, which I am assuming with our fearless leader Ashley busy traveling, maybe that is why. So I am going to take this month’s theme and run with it. I would not say I am a spiritual or religious person. My church experiences were pretty much limited to punishment when I was going through my wild streak as a teenager. My mom decided the only thing to save me was youth groups and Sunday church, which I would often attend after a very, very late night Saturday.

But I am older, and maybe wiser? now so maybe it is time I start focusing on the world around me. To start my travels in spirituality, I am going to read Khalil Gibran’s book, The Prophet. I have never ready anything about him before but it was recommended.

Khalil Gibran was a Christian born in Lebanon in the late 1800’s, who migrated as a child to the United States, landing in Boston. His writing is done through poems, and The Prophet itself consists of 26 poetic essays dealing with love, marriage, laws, passion, teaching, friendship, ect. I have requested the book from the Austin Public Library, so once I get it and I will let you all know my progress!

4 comments:

  1. The blog is seriously asleep without Ashley. I wasn't even sure what this month was, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful book. Thank you for reminding me about it. I read it a long time ago. I'll have to pick it up again. Here is a poem from The Prophet for Ashley. Congrats on her recent nuptials. Congrats! xox Mel

    On Marriage
    Kahlil Gibran
    You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
    You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.
    Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
    But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
    And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.


    Love one another, but make not a bond of love:
    Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
    Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
    Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf
    Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
    Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.


    Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
    For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
    And stand together yet not too near together:
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea Cassie...I found you in the blogisphere! Excited to start following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't posted a single entry on this beautiful blog ... because I don't know how. For someone who's in digital advertising that's sad... where's the 101 How To guide?

    ReplyDelete