Monday, May 17, 2010

Road Rage…


So while I wait for the Austin Library system to get me my book, my co-worker offered to lend me a book on Spirituality that he really liked, Work as a Spiritual Practice by Lewis Richmond. Now I know what you are thinking, work and spirituality? But as I am going through a career crises anyways, let’s give it a shot. This week, travel, which is fitting as I am traveling to St Louis this week for a brutal three day trip.

First up, my commute. The average American spends 40 minutes each way getting to work, I clock in pretty close at about 30. During this drive, I am guilty of immediately calling someone to talk to, if they don’t answer, I try to listen to talk radio and if that is boring, I put in my iPod at top volume. I always, always, always have some stimulation or noise in my car.

According to Richmond, this is a great time to slow down, let up on the gas, turn the volume off and think. The slower we travel, the less bored we are by listening and seeing more. His advice is to follow a slow car and use this time to really focus on yourself. I have to say, I tried this and liked it. I turned off the cell phone and radio on my way to work this morning and just meandered in getting here. It was far less stressful than the fast lane and it gave me some time to think over the weekend and what I enjoyed as well as what I would be focusing on this week at the office. I have to say, I came in a little more calm then most Monday mornings, which is enough to keep me motivated to try another chapter in the book.

2 comments:

  1. what happened to this blog? i was really enjoying and have seen a new post in a while, come back, girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... neat blog. Hope you continue posting.
    oxoxox
    Denalee

    ReplyDelete